Thursday, June 19, 2008

'what not to wear' for the newly unemployed

"yeah, i suppose black jeans are okay if you dress them up with a conservative shirt and heels. take off the leather cuff, though. and the necklace."
"really?! i can't wear this necklace? but it's so small and inoffensive."
"tuck it into your shirt, then. you don't want to look rock'n'roll. you want streamlined and professional."

i grumble, but i do as she says. sigh. i don't even want another dining job.

"can i wear my jean jacket? or does that have too much personality for the prospective employer, too."

she ponders a moment.

"no, you can wear it. it looks clean and preppy, with the rest of your outfit... you look like a gap ad."
eyeroll. "it's a sad state of affairs when the gap ad image is what's considered the epitome of hireable."
"look, you need a job, right??"

my roommate can be a hardass, but she's right, of course. i put on my jean jacket and study the results in our full-length mirror. "i suppose i should probably remove the north end, i love you button from the breast pocket."
"yes. you really should."
i do it, with what i hope is an endearing pout. i feel like a store mannequin.

candice laughs, in her carefree look-at-me-i-have-a-job-and-can-wear-what-i-feel-like ruffled skirt.
"relax. you can go back to squatting abandoned houses, after you do your interview."

2 comments:

Nate Crawford said...

I recently went to two interviews at libraries, no. 1 by myself, no. 2 through a temp agency.
No. 1- We chatted about my old hometown and shit; they insisted on a 'cas' encounter.
No. 2- I was first put through a 'how to interview' seminar by the agency and told that I was the only one that 'screened' properly. The other guy, Dan, a classmate of mine, didn't 'screen' because his former career as a punk guitarist is still permanently advertised all over his body.
I got the job. They noticed two piercings in my ear and told me I could totally put them back in.
Dan got the other job in a heartbeat.
Moral 1: fuck a temp agency.
Moral 2: work in a library.

annievee said...

great. you guys hiring? :P

i'm assuming, when you say you got the job, you're talking about interview no. 1? lucky you. lately i've been feeling like getting older makes people take one less seriously in job interview situations.

i was interviewed by some manager-type the other day who was at least five years my junior. this can't end soon enough.