Saturday, May 3, 2008

off early on a thursday night, and i'm taking in

the atmosphere down at the old triangle with a pint of rickard's white in front of me. my co-worker (who's been drinking since the late afternoon) is trying to convince me that i am, deep down, as much a victim of my generation's romantic ideals as any female stereotype - i'm trying to convince him that i have no poetry in my soul. really, we're both just taking the piss. a lovely time is being had underneath the half-hearted guise of a philosophical debate.

there are fiddles, and middle-aged couples dancing, and all the irishness you can handle at one time. the band consists of two elderly gentlemen whose brogue sounds suspiciously authentic, in that daniel day lewis way we know and love so well. i wonder if their beards are homegrown or store bought.

halfway through the obligatory whiskey in the jar number, my co-worker grins and suggests that suffering though the live act must be hell for me. surely, someone with my attitude to life has little enough regard for irish folk music and its traditional sentiments? but, lo! here an opportunity presents itself to screw with his feeble grasp on my personality: i actually listened to enough irish folk growing up that i freely admit to a soft spot for it. that's right. never underestimate the eclectic.

in particular, i tell him, there was one song that haunted my adolescence and has since proved quite impossible to track down. believe me, google has never even heard of the damn thing. it was called 'a-rovin' i will go' and i've never come across another recording of it than the one lived in my parents' tape deck between '89 and '93.
this puzzles my entire party.
"you're certain it's not to be found on the internet?"
"positive."
"well, that's strange. umm... have you tried searching an alternate spelling?"
"i've tried with the g, without the g, with the apostrophe, without the apostrophe, with and without the hyphen; i've tried various lyrics - i tell you, nothing."
"well, why don't you ask them about it? i'm sure they've heard of it before."

and with that, despite my protests, my co-worker snags one of the bearded irishmen just as they're taking a set break. "listen, this lady is wondering if you're familiar with a tune..."
blah, blah blah. imagine my surprise when said bearded guy leans close to me and hums, without mistake, the opening chorus line to 'a-rovin' i will go'.

sadly, that's as exciting as the story gets - he has certainly heard of the song, but that one line is all he can remember. he also doesn't know who and when might have recorded it, but now the whole thing sounds like a bit of a challenge, so he engages his colleague... this lass here knows a song... etcetera.

the colleague peers at me over a pint of guiness. well, perrrhaps if you could quote some of the lyrrrics, he says. and i can, of course.
sweet mary was me sunshine
sweet mary was so true
sweet mary dug me heart out
then she cut it right in two

...ring any bells?

the irishman stands for a moment, contemplating, then shakes his head in defeat. nah, he says, nah i don't know the song. i know the girrul, though. i swear to ya, i know that girrul.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found a few slightly different versions of the words, here's one of them:

Been sitting in this alehouse for five long days and nights,
Deciding to forget her and just get on with me life.
It's springtime in the valleys, it's springtime in me head,
And if I can't do no better than this I might as well be dead.

Me name it is O'Hara, I was twenty in the fall,
And there's me brother Kevin, well we're not alike at all.
I'll never be a bank clerk, nor wheat nor barley sow,
I'll kiss me ma at the break of dawn, and a rovin' I will go.

Chorus: A rovin' I will go I'm off to seek me fortune,
I'll dig for gold by day and in the nighttime I'll be courtin'.
A rovin' I will go, from Dublin across to Boston
And west to california and back if I be wantin'.

Sweet Mary was me sunshine, sweet Mary was so true,
Sweet Mary dug me heart out, then she cut it right in two.
And now a voice is calling, as pure as falling snow,
O'Hara, stop your bawling, for a rovin' you must go.

(chorus)

Farewell to this old alehouse, farewell to all me friends.
There's something new beginning everytime that something ends.
I'll never leave completely, for in my heart you'll be,
When I return I promise now the drinks will be on me.

(chorus 2x)


I found that one and another on this page:

http://www.mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=9683

There is yet another version here:

http://www.quasimodo-knoeterich.de/pdf/cd3/a_rovin.pdf

Hope that helps! It reads like a great song, I hope I can hear it sometime.

annievee said...

yes!!! that's the song, all right. but how... HOW? goddamn it, why am i apparently search-impaired??

thanks, karen. :)

Anonymous said...

You're very welcome. I tried searching with the lyric "sweet mary dug me heart out", and that got one of those links. Then I tried searching with the title, and that took a bit of investigation through false leads. I tend to Google frequently, and I enjoy spending (wasting?) time looking for schtuff.

Glad I found what you were looking for. :-)

Ben said...

We drink and we die and continue ta drink, hey!

Anonymous said...

Funny thing how the Universe evolves. Now a search trying to get this lyrics brought me to your page.

jawismann said...

ive had the same problem with this song lately. but i went to half priced books and was looking in their music section the other day and lo and behold! here was the very song thats been plaguing my brain on one of those "collections" cds. i bought the only one they had and while its not the best version ive heard, its the only one available. cd is full of cover songs of some reallyy good songs . well worth the three bucks i shelled out for it.